Sunday, October 30, 2011

How to Make A Pillow Cover


Sorry these pics are terrible but they were taken at night.
I decided to make some pillow covers that were more "Fallish" for the living room. I bought 2 new pillow forms from Joann's recently (buy one get one free) and I bought some fabric (1 yard of each) that I loved. I didn't want the fabrics to be too literal with leaves and turkeys on them.

1. My pillow forms are 18 x 18 so I cut one square of fabric that's 19 x19. I gave myself a 1/2 seam allowance on either side.

2. Next, I cut 2 pieces for the backside of the pillow. I cut mine a little too short, so next time I'd cut a 12 x 19 piece and a 14 x 19 piece. You want them to overlap on the backside.

3. On the two backside pieces, fold the edge over about 1 /4 of an inch (I used an iron to keep it folded down) and fold it over again about 1/4 of an inch. I sewed along the edge.


Do that for both back side pieces.

4. Next, lay one backside piece on top of the 19 x 19 piece. You want the good sides of the fabric facing each other. You want the finished edge from your backside pieces in the middle. Pin it in place and sew around the edge from one side all the way around to the other. Lay the other backside piece on the 19 x 19 piece of fabric and pin and sew it on.

5. Turn it inside out.

6. Put your pillow form in.


The great thing about using a pillow cover and pillow form is that you can change it out whenever you want. You don't have a ton of pillows to store, just the pillow covers. And once you invest in the pillow forms (I got mine on sale for less than $5 each), it's really cheap to buy the fabric to make the pillow covers.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wish ya would have posted this a year ago- it took me one big flop to figure it out! as always I love you fabric choice!

Unknown said...

I love the fabric you choose. They are beautiful. Thank you for sharing them at my Our Favorite Things Link Party.

Azerbaijan Travel Advisory for Indians said...

The interactive quizzes on your blog are a fun twist. It's engaging and adds an element of playfulness. Subscribed for the enjoyable learning experience; your creativity is on point!